Monday, April 14, 2014

Motherhood: When It Feels Like Surely There Is More For Me

Again, I am going to be REALLY honest with you. There have been times in my life, even recently, that I thought surely this isn’t it? Surely the Lord has more for me to do- bigger things, world changing things?!? Things that will really make a difference?! Surely, there is more for me…

I know God has gifted me with individual passions, talents, and abilities that are specific to me, just as He has you. And, as I dream about the future, I dream BIG dreams. I dream about all that the Lord has in store for me. And, I get excited, but then I think to myself that most of the BIG things will just have to wait. You see, in this stage of my life I am too busy doing the things that seem little, building a home, giving life to babies, raising up children, teaching them, and bathing them, and feeding them, and loving them….

As the Lord has been working on my heart over the last months I have continually prayed “Lord lead me, lead me to do things that are BIG, things that clearly I have not done on my own, things that cause me to need you in such a way that I couldn’t possibly do them without you.” And, I have also continually asked Him to show me what those things might be….

And then, one day as I sat still before Him singing the lyrics to a popular song, “Spirit, lead me where my faith is without borders, let me walk upon the waters wherever you would call me, take me deeper than my feet could ever wander…” It hit me. Like a ton of bricks. It’s been right in front of my nose all along.

You see, the “little” things that I am doing right now, in this stage of life and motherhood, well, they are NOT so little. The task of motherhood that the Lord has placed before me each and every day, IT IS a BIG thing. It is the thing that requires me to be on my knees daily crying out to the Lord for help. It IS the thing that He has called me to do, gifted me to do. It is the task that I could not possibly complete on my own each day without the help of my Heavenly Father. It is really the BIGGEST thing I could ever possibly do! I am raising little people. PEOPLE. I have the opportunity to be an instrument in molding their lives, in teaching them, in showing them Christ’s love. I want to change people’s lives… well, HELLO, I have little people right here in my home who I have the opportunity to be a life changer to every single day! They are people who will grow up. Who I am to them now and what I teach them now will affect the rest of their lives!

Today, I remember that what I am doing has purpose. It is definitely NOT little. It is real. It has eternal value. It is important. And, it is REALLY REALLY BIG.

Yes, I continue to dream about other things that the Lord may be calling me to do, now or in the future as my children grow. And, I think that is important too! But, at the end of the day, I know I am already living out His BIG purpose each day, as I call upon Him to help me be the mom I am supposed to be.

Psalm 127:3 “Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from Him.”


Proverbs 6:20-23: "My son, observe the commandment of your father and do not forsake the teaching of your mother; bind them continually on your heart; tie them around your neck. When you walk about, they will guide you; when you sleep, they will watch over you; and when you awake, they will talk to you. For the commandment is a lamp and the teaching is light; and reproofs for discipline are the way of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment